Thursday, January 30, 2014

Arcadia Cafe - A Joy, a Pleasure, a Privilege

Greetings!

For my very first post, instead of telling you about myself, I'd rather talk about this amazing little coffee shop I've found. Sit back Starbucks, you've got a lot to learn. I'm writing to you from Arcadia Cafe on Lincoln Way. This nifty little place has some of the best coffee I've ever tasted. It rivals the latte's I sampled just a year ago at Tryst in the hip Adams Morgan area of Washington, DC.

Surprisingly, Iowa offers more of the conveniences of those big flashy metropolises than you might think. This is my first of many posts on where to eat in Ames. I hail from New York State, but in St. Lawrence County NOT the Big Apple. However, I've had the pleasure of traveling the East Coast of the country and have frequently stopped to sample the local cuisine and coffee. I am a foodie by nature, and chef/baker by heart. Nothing fixes a bad morning like a toasted croissant (I know, blasphemy) and a great latte. Nothing heals a broken heart like a comfort food dinner. I've discovered the best of New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington, D.C. My love brought me west, to Ames, and I'm determined to find the best of Iowa. While this state has many amazing places to eat, to work, to play, to shop, to live, its online presence is lacking. For a new comer, it is difficult to explore as you must set out on foot and eventually discover its hidden gems. For those of you who enjoy the scavenger hunt, finding vague clues here and there to the greatness of this beautiful state, you should stop reading right now. The rest of us, who enjoy hearing an in-depth, detailed account of the beauty this state has to offer, then I welcome you to this blog we are starting together. Let's begin, right here at Arcadia.

You walk into this quaint little shop at 8am as the world just begins to brighten and you find the inside of this shop seems to have a magical golden glow. The lighting is the main culprit, minimally established, and set to a nice, calming glow rather than a blazing LED roar as is found in most Starbucks, Caribou and other chain establishments. This lighting which is not only good for the eyes, but also great for the soul, plays off the honey notes found in the furniture which is seemingly re-cycled and repurposed items from an older time. The chairs are standard, but all in wood - thank you! The tables however are 2-inch-thick horizontal slices of tree trunks. One can see the age in the rings of these trees which have been expertly sealed and finished by the owner and her father. Finally, a key conversation piece is tucked away by the window - a giant tree root imported from Indonesia which also serves as a table for three. It is a must-see item that I cannot even begin to describe.

The ambience of this charming establishment is a mix of old and new. It features a production and cash line that is reminiscent of 1970's fast food establishments, but with all the trimmings of a modern, earthy, hip cafe. The music is expertly chosen modern folk, and other good calming tunes. such as the songs found in movies on rainy days - idyllic java jams.

Now to the important part, the coffee! This coffee is roasted in house and made fresh daily, by the owner's husband who learned the technique from a chocolatier. I tried the espresso today in a simple, classic latte. The roasting machine takes center stage in the shop proudly displaying its importance and some merchandise for sale. The beans are perfectly ground, pressed by hand, and then run through one of the nicest commercial grade espresso machines I've ever seen. A little background: I'm a trained Green Mountain Coffee barista and have been in the coffee making business for a bit over 5 years. I've been in the coffee tasting business for 12. The chocolatier training of the owner is evident in the perfect way in which this coffee mimics a nice dark, rich, chocolate bar as all quality espresso should.

The milk was perfectly frothed, smooth and silky as only a fine establishment striving for perfection could achieve, but I'm also coming to the conclusion that the quality of this foam is unique to Iowa and its perfect milk - another post on Iowan milk later. Finally, as I've only ever seen in shops in high income/high society areas, such as Adams Morgan, the barista created a design in the milk froth, the contrast derived from the espresso itself. Today, I received a beautiful heart - perhaps in honor of the upcoming holiday.

I graciously accepted my in-house ceramic mug (THANK YOU), and the turbinado sugar (another big plus - bleached sugar ruins coffee) and sat down at my unique tree-trunk table for one. I had been thinking about writing this blog for months now, and the pleasures experienced in Arcadia finally motivated the creation of this account.

If you find yourself in a malaise, in a need of the joys of big city living, or simply in the need for some exceptional coffee, stop by Arcadia. There is a parking lot, a rarity for shops on Lincoln Way near the college, and there are friendly, knowledgeable people with some serious coffee talents.

Items produced in-house that I did not sample: fine pastries and desserts.

With the owner's permission, pictures will follow shortly.

Thanks for reading,
Alicen

Arcadia Cafe
2712 Lincoln Way
Ames, IA 50014
515-337-1007
www.arcadiainames.com

No comments:

Post a Comment